The Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update is gradually rolling out OTA (over the air), but if you are impatient you can update manually. I had previously unlocked my boot loader and installed su (superuser), but I otherwise like to keep things as stock possible (no custom ROMs, no kernel hacks, no custom recovery manager). If you have a similar setup then this upgrade is very simple; it can actually be completed without connecting the phone to a computer, so it really is OTA.
- You have a GSM Galaxy Nexus (i9250)
- You are currently running the latest Android 4.0.4 (IMM76I)
- You have the stock takju (update: or yakju) ROM. (You can use this app to check)
- You have root access (su/super user is installed)
- You have a terminal application installed (e.g. Android Terminal Emulator)
- You *have not* replaced the stock recovery system/partition with a custom recovery (like Clockwork Mod)
- You have 15 - 20 minutes to spare
P.S. Over time, the OTA files for other stock builds will become available (but only for Google supported Nexus devices). You can monitor this forum post at xda-developers if you have a non-yakju or non-takju ROM
- Download the takju 4.1.1 (JRO03C) from 4.0.4 (IMM76I) OTA update file directly to your phone (you are downloading directly from Google, not from this blog). The file is about 147MB so you may want to do the download over wifi. Update: The yakju OTA file is now available as well, the steps are basically the same, you just use the yakju 4.1.1 (JRO03C) from 4.0.4 (IMM76I) OTA file instead.
- Copy the update file to the /cache folder (this requires super user permission)
- Open a terminal window
- cp /sdcard/Download/5c416e9cf57f.signed-takju-JRO03C-from-IMM76I.5c416e9c.zip /cache/
- Power off your phone
- While the phone is off, press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power
- Use the volume button to scroll through the menu options and press power to select "Recovery Mode"
- Once the Recovery Mode screen has come up (green android with red warning sign), press Power + Volume Up to bring up the menu
- Use the Volume button to select the "apply update from /cache" menu option and press power to invoke it
- Use the Volume button to select 5c416e9cf57f.signed-takju-JRO03C-from-IMM76I.5c416e9c.zip and press the power button to start the update
- Once the install is complete, select "reboot system now"
Warning: The upgrade caused me to lose root access. Apparently the setuid bit was removed from /system/bin/su. This was fixed by doing the following. It assumes you are familiar with adb, fastboot and Clockwork Mod Recovery. See my previous for details on how to restore root access.
Discalimer:If you have anything important that isn't stored in the cloud, please back it up before you start. You never know what might go wrong. This "worked for me", but your mileage may vary. I take no responsibility if you phone stops working, explodes or tries to take over the world. Caveat Emptor!